Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My Artichoke Obsession

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lately I have had a craving for artichokes.

Ever since my friends girlfreind introduced me to them last year I've been hooked. I allways saw them in the store but never really knew anything about them.

The night I was over at my freinds house we just filled a pot full of water and dropped the choke in there. After about a good 40 minutes to an hour later we took it out and split it up between the three of us. At first I was hesitant and didn't even want to try it, but my friends gf pressured me into it. And now Im hooked.

There are dozens of ways ways to cook and eat an artichoke. The way we did it was just by pealing the leaves off one by one and scraping/biting the 'meat' off of them until we got to the heart. Some people like to dip the leaves in butter or dip, but we just sprinkeled a little salt on them.

Later I did a little research and found out that artichokes are very high in fibre, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus and other trace elements important for a balanced system. They have also been known to positively help poor liver function, slightly lower the blood sugar, improve the appetite and digestion, and also has powerful antioxidant activity.

Additionally, artichokes are --

a low calorie food,
a fat free food,
a cholesterol free food,
low in sodium,
a good source of vitamin C,
a good source of folate,
and a good source of magnesium.

Not to mention tastey.

No comments: